I am a mid-30's something gay white male, third-generation native Washingtonian, living in NW DC. I work in local politics and can be found hanging with friends at the DC Eagle, Titan, and various happy hour spots around town including Zengo, and sometimes Cafe Nema. More often than not, though, I can be found dallying in billiards and addictive bar video games. Bud light is my drink of choice. Buy me one, ok?

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Finally I speak regarding the elections

I kind of surprised myself when I didn't rush here to write about my reaction to the November 7 elections. While I wouldn't change the results, I really wish we'd picked up more seats in both the Senate and the House. And I wish we had a better qualified person as Speaker than Nancy Pelosi. I'm sure, ok, not so sure, that she's an okay person. My fears about her were realized very early on when she openly campaigned for John Murtha to be House Majority Leader over Steny Hoyer.

For right now, I'm going to leave her be, and hope she doesn't turn out to be the nightmare I'm worried she'll become.

Lest you all view me as a party pooper about the whole thing, let me get one thing very clear -- and that is I'm freakin' ecstatic the W, Cheney and Rummy no longer have those right-wing conservative nutjobs in control of Congress to back them up. And, Rummy, bless is "I'm staying the course" heart, well, he's just gone.

I've revelled in what the downfalls of Mark Foley and Ted Haggard meant to the elections, yet do have a certain amount of pity for each of them, more so for Haggard though. Whether or not Foley had sex with a minor, he wanted to, and talked about doing so in writing. He clearly has problems, I just wish he wouldn't attempt to mask them by seeking treatment for alcohol. Maybe he's an alcoholic. I'll give him that, but this in no way excuses his actions or desires. I read an interview online somewhere, forgive me, I don't recall where, with Mike Jones during which he was asked if Haggard were a power bottom, or just a bottom. He replied basically that he didn't wish to get into specifics, but said he was a bottom and that he was probably attracted to Jones because he was well endowed. Come on. How could a personality like Haggard be anything other than a power anything?

And how fucking entertaining is this Sheila Sekula-Gibbs robo-Congresswoman anyway? Wonkette said it so very appropriately when she wrote, "Bitch crazy!" It almost makes you hope that she and Cynthia McKinney will get together and write a joint memoir of their time serving the nation and their constituents.

I think back now to when Ronald Reagan was president. My great-Uncle Bob would always, always, refer to Reagan as "the knucklehead." In this time of lame-duckedness for W, I think it only fitting to salute Uncle Bob, now age 89, and Ronald Reagan, by christening W as Nukkelhed.

Now, Speaker-Elect Pelosi, please, please, please, don't make me have to give you a nickname. I'll be watching. My friend John thinks you'll pick out fabulous drapes for your new office. If you need help, and in the spirit of my being willing to put aside my differences, I'd be glad to go over swatches with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home