I am a mid-30's something gay white male, third-generation native Washingtonian, living in NW DC. I work in local politics and can be found hanging with friends at the DC Eagle, Titan, and various happy hour spots around town including Zengo, and sometimes Cafe Nema. More often than not, though, I can be found dallying in billiards and addictive bar video games. Bud light is my drink of choice. Buy me one, ok?

Friday, October 27, 2006

August 10, 2006 -- Come fly away.... ummm... maybe not

So the Brits have foiled an air-terror plot. And we're in Code Red. Now more than ever, I just don't like flying. The only thing I like about flying, as probably most people do, is that it's the fastest way. Well, to heck with that. A flight from Baltimore to Buffalo takes like 50 minutes. The drive time is 9 hours. So a couple months ago we had a 9:30 a.m. flight. Had to be there by like 8, which entailed leaving at 7. Flight arrived at 10:30 and by the time we got the rental car and got to our destination, it was 11:30. Is it really more convenient? If I can't drive there, I don't think I'm going to go anymore.

Am I just a curmudgeon?

Now they are going to ban all liquids, for god knows how long. Anything to make flying more cumbersome. Pretty soon they won't allow any carry-ons. We'll have to check our shoes. My last flight, to and from Nashville, was tolerable primarily due to my newish iPod. Now they too are banned. COME ON! I know full well why this is going on, safety, and I can appreciate that, but why is everything so kneejerk anymore?

I think I'll settle for driving to the beach for my getaways. Yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home