I am a mid-30's something gay white male, third-generation native Washingtonian, living in NW DC. I work in local politics and can be found hanging with friends at the DC Eagle, Titan, and various happy hour spots around town including Zengo, and sometimes Cafe Nema. More often than not, though, I can be found dallying in billiards and addictive bar video games. Bud light is my drink of choice. Buy me one, ok?

Friday, October 27, 2006

June 27, 2006 -- Cape Hatteras

I'm thinking today of my trip last summer to the Outer Banks OBX, and namely to the Cape Hatteras Light House. This was such a fun trip, spent with family. This is in contrast to my friend Pete who went this summer, less than two weeks ago, for a week in the OBX with his family. He died while there.

I wonder if he knew something was amis. He insisted on climbing to the top of the Hatteras Light. He insisted on climbing the big dunes (whose name escapes me right now). My mind is full of questions, and unfortunately the only answer is that Pete is no longer with us.

It seems that had he had his black-out on the beach, or in the house, instead of while in the ocean, he would still be with us. And that's damned fucked up.

The whole thing is fucked up.

But he had almost a whole week with his family, who he saw every couple years. By their accounts, everyone was having a great week.

It's weird being in his condo, sorting his things, and as his sister said yesterday, "seems kinda cold."

I'm sure he's wondering what all the fuss is about--so am I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home