I am a mid-30's something gay white male, third-generation native Washingtonian, living in NW DC. I work in local politics and can be found hanging with friends at the DC Eagle, Titan, and various happy hour spots around town including Zengo, and sometimes Cafe Nema. More often than not, though, I can be found dallying in billiards and addictive bar video games. Bud light is my drink of choice. Buy me one, ok?

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

My first blog

Feet. Something we truly take for granted and don't think about until for one reason or another we are immobilzed. I have had run-ins with gout and heel spurs. Neither are pleasant. Add both to the mix at the same time, though, and life becomes a challenge. I experienced this rare "two-step," if you will, about a month ago, culminating in 24 hours of sheer misery ending about 2 days later. After deciding that enough was enough, and after 2 doses of Motrin, I made myself stand up, grabbed my crutches from the closet and meandered, ok, lumbered, to the john where I saw a man about a horse and took a long shower. Nothing like a shower to make anyone feel instantly better.

I went to work the next day after calling in sick the day before, crutches and all. And the people in the building gasp and call out, "oh no! what did you to your knee?" Or to my leg. But never, "what's wrong with your foot?" Why is that? So I explain all day that it's a recurring problem. Before this recent attack, I haven't had any major foot issues since early June when I was down with a very bad heel spur. Aside from a kidney stone several Christmas mornings ago, this was the most pain I'd ever been in. By the time I got home from work that evening, I no longer needed the assistance of my friends the crutches. They are now in the corner in the closet where I know they'll always be.

That being said, I have committed to myself to work on losing weight, and walking more this year. Once I've developed a regular walking routine, I will then seek a gym nearby to where I work. And, I will follow as close as I can to a diet good in combating gout. This involves not drinking excessive amounts of alcohol and I'm wondering if excessive means 3 drinks every 2 or 3 days, or 8 or 9 drinks one night a week. Either way I might be screwed. But I'll figure something out.

As I'm writing this, I'm listening to one of my favorite recent albums: "The Unbroken Circle: The Musical Heritage of the Carter Family." Among my fave tracks are George Jones, "Worried Man Blues," Emmylou Harris and the Peasall Sisters' "On the Sea of Galilee," June Carter Cash's "Hold Fast to the Right," and Rosanne Cash's "Winding Stream." Really good stuff. Next up is Mary J. Blige's "The Breakthrough," which features a duet with Bono on U2's "One." This recording defies logic. It's amazing.

Tonight I head to Reston to watch the Grammys with friends. Looking forward to seeing Madonna and the Gorillaz, and as mentioned above, Mary J. and U2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home